COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by a new form of coronavirus that started in Wuhan China. This is a form of the flu. As of March 12, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) says there are a total of 1220 cases and 36 deaths in the US. The World Health Organization reports that worldwide there are 119,00 confirmed cases and 4300 deaths, 70 percent of which are in China. The mortality rate for this disease is “estimated” to be less than 3% which includes part of the world with less health care (Less than 1% in countries with advanced medicine). Those who are elderly are most at risk as with any infectious disease.
CONSIDER: The CDC estimates that in the US alone so far this 2019-2020 flu season there have been more than 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations, and 20,000 deaths from the flu. The CDC estimates the seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year. When Suspected Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) also known as the Bird Flu broke out in China in 2003 more than 8,000 people became sick. The global Mortality rate for SARS was 10%.
PREVENTION: COVID-19 should be taken seriously as a disease. The virus is able to last longer on hard surfaces. So all of us should take precautions, especially for our sisters and brothers who are more susceptible to getting very sick.
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. (Time of saying Lord’s prayer)
- Avoid touching nose, eyes, and mouth.
- Wipe down hard surfaces with disinfectants – like soap.
- Drink lots of fluids at all times, especially hot liquids.
- Stay home if you’re sick.
- Make sure you have a plan in case you get sick that includes a list of friends, or community health care workers who can help.
DO NOT FEAR: If you see the hoarders and preppers buying all the toilet paper at the Costco’s you recognize this a mass panic. Where Americans seem can’t bond over the good, but we all join together in misery. That said, I believe governments, agencies and businesses are taking severe actions to try to stop the spread of this disease over the next 30 days.
As people of faith, we accept that illness and death is part of the human existence. But we have a God greater than all the war, plagues, and disasters of this life.
LIVING BY FAITH: Jesus encourages us not to be afraid, but to have faith. The one who has taken on all the forces of sin, death and the devil has overcome them.
- “Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 1:8
- “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:2
- “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33